Steve Jakubowski, founder and author of nearly all posts for this blog, has worked in complex chapter 11 bankruptcies and reorganizations for 27 years. Based in Chicago his entire professional career, he has represented diverse parties and interests on a variety of bankruptcy litigation and reorganization matters, as well as in commercial litigation in federal and state courts involving distressed companies or situations and receivership proceedings.
He has served as bankruptcy counsel in a number of high profile matters, including that of Carter Hawley Hale Stores Inc., where he acted as counsel to the debtor. Jakubowski also was principally involved in representing the bankruptcy estate of the subprime auto lender Reliance Acceptance Group in its post-confirmation litigation over the failed split-off from Cole Taylor Bank in 1997. In addition, he has successfully handled matters on behalf of biotech and high-tech companies, and has represented many Creditors’ Committees over the years, including most recently in the dairy and farm industries.
Earlier in his career, Jakubowski served as an officer of two reorganizing companies. The Delaware bankruptcy court appointed him chief operating officer of a public restaurant company in 1995, and as chairman and chief executive officer of New England's top regional snack manufacturer in 1996. In both engagements, Jakubowski successfully led the operating entity out of chapter 11 bankruptcy. He also has significant experience as a principal in the landfill gas-to-energy and renewable energy fields.
Jakubowski is the founder and author of nearly all content on the Bankruptcy Litigation Blog, the internet’s first bankruptcy blog, which has received over 750,000 page visits since its inception in 2005.
Steve has spoken at various law conferences and symposia on a variety of topics such as Creditors' Committees roles and responsibilities, intellectual property issues in bankruptcy, BAPCPA, and legal ethics and the web. His pro bono work in the GM bankruptcy case on behalf of products liability claimants left behind by the sale to "New GM" led to appearances on the CBS Evening News and Fox News Network. He also has been interviewed on NPR and Planet Money and has been widely quoted in the national press, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. He also has been cited by various professional reporters such as the American Lawyer, Lawyers USA, and the BNA Professional Reporter.
Steve is recognized as an Illinois SuperLawyer® 2013 in the area of bankruptcy and debtor/creditor rights and is rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. He also has been selected as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy by American Lawyer Media.
- Partner, Robbins, Salomon & Patt, Ltd. (2012 - present)
- Partner, Levenfeld Pearlstein, LLC (2011 - 2012)
- Member, The Coleman Law Firm (1998 - 2011)
- Admitted, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, Trial Bar, Northern District of Illinois
- Commissioner, Lincolnwood Planning Commission, Lincolnwood, Illinois, 2010-Present
- Commissioner, Lincolnwood Traffic Commission, Lincolnwood, Illinois, 2006 - 2009
- Vice President, Bais Chaim Dovid Synagogue of Lincolnwood, 2004 - Present
- Director, Chicago Loop Synagogue, 1999-2006
- Eitz Chaim (Tree of Life) Awardee, Chicago Community Kollel Institute of Advanced Torah Studies, December 2001
- Union College (B.S., 1980)
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D. 1985)
Bar Admissions: Illinois